At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, the Head of Litigation will lead the global Litigation team to manage Polaris’s litigation matters across the enterprise and will maintain broad responsibility for developing and delivering on successful strategies related to all phases of Polaris’s highly visible and complex disputes portfolio. This position will also proactively provide strategic counsel on dispute risks globally to help advance Polaris’s strategy and protect the Company. The Head of Litigation will also serve as part of the legal leadership team at Polaris.
The position is intended for an attorney with excellent litigation and dispute management skills, and one who possesses excellent interpersonal skills to guide internal stakeholders through complex product safety and business unit issues. General litigation defense is the core competency for the position, with experience in product liability defense and/or mechanical/engineering-related litigation.
The ideal candidate will possess strong leadership and managerial courage, emotional strength and maturity, an appropriate sense of urgency, and excellent business partnership and relationship-building skills. This person will be an exceptional leader and motivator of a high functioning team and work well under pressure and in a range of environments.
A passion for the outdoors and an aptitude or interest in mechanical/engineering problem-solving is also highly desired.
- Strategic oversight of Polaris’s portfolio of complex litigation matters and pre-litigation disputes across diverse substantive areas, including product liability, warranty, product safety, commercial matters, class actions, intellectual property litigation, and privacy and data security related disputes.
- Build and manage a strong corporate litigation strategy that meets the needs of the Company and minimizes reliance on external legal resources.
- Lead a team of dispute professionals and drive collaboration across cross-functional teams that manage and support dispute management across the organization.
- Engage in all aspects of the litigation and dispute process, including assessing risk, developing strategy, partnering with outside counsel, reviewing pleadings, preparing for depositions, managing discovery processes, and preparing/executing trial and appellate strategy.
- Confidently communicate with internal business clients regarding litigated matters, preventative law, and other matters.
- Negotiate litigation settlements and represent Polaris at mediations and trials.
- Develop and manage litigation budgets, including eDiscovery, by attempting to identify efficiencies and cost savings where possible.
- Possessing and utilizing strong organizational skills, including attention to detail, as well as the ability to establish plans, manage a large and varied workload of assignments with conflicting priorities to follow-up and complete within deadlines.
Key Qualifications & Skills
- Significant litigation experience at a law firm and in-house legal department, preferably with experience in the areas of product liability defense, class actions, and mechanical/engineering-related litigation.
- Technical background and knowledge of highly regulated consumer products is preferred.
- Ability to understand business needs and partner with internal customers, cross-functional teams, and third parties to find creative solutions to complex problems.
- Demonstrated ability to triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate expectations with internal clients and delivering results efficiently and effectively.
- Confident team player with attorney and non-attorney legal professionals and business partners.
- Strong negotiation and dispute resolution skills that are exemplified in a down-to-earth and human-centric manner.
- Emotional strength and maturity with a high EQ and ability to empathize.
- Assertive self-starter with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and superior time management skills.
- Managerial and leadership courage.
Education & Experience
- Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school.
- 15+ years’ litigation experience gained in a law firm and in-house legal department.
- Must be licensed and in good standing to practice law in at least one U.S. state.
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.