At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
As a Senior Embedded Control Systems Engineer in our Global Electrical, Embedded, & Connected Systems Team you will be a pivotal member of our team; leading the development and platforming of Power Generation (PG) and Electronic Power Steering (EPS). This includes component hardware/software requirements, diagnostics, and communications. You will work with the different vehicle product teams to integrate these subsystems and meet the needs of multiple vehicle product families, their platforms, derivatives, and accessories.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Work across vehicle teams to understand and decompose vehicle system level requirements into EPS, PG and charging system requirements; work closely Polaris Global Business Units (GBUs) to leverage their team/expertise to develop specific feature requirements while maintaining responsibility for the definition of all communications and diagnostics.
- Lead technical development of new PG from existing platformed designs by serving as the subject matter expert for power electronics and charging systems such as magneto, alternator and voltage regulator design.
- Design analog and digital electronic circuits including software development to meet requirements.
- Troubleshoot existing product design and manufacturing issues and formulate solutions
- Interface with Polaris sourcing; lead/facilitate technical aspects of supplier selection process.
- Support validation team to develop, document, & execute controller, system, & vehicle-level validation plans/procedures for HW and SW including MIL/SIL/HIL simulation and/or bench/vehicle testing.
- Represent the department on the Hardware Development Peer Group, comprised of HW Subject Matter Experts across Polaris.
- As applicable, ensure the system design & your development processes align with Functional Safety goals/standards (May include leading/participating in Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessments (HARA), Design Failure Mode Effects Analysis (DFMEA), and Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), etc.)
- Maintain controller development project plans and/or support projects engineers in doing so.
- May perform calibration of certain controller diagnostics, communications and non-powertrain related features
- Lead platforming and roadmapping strategies for maximum efficiency and reuse across Polaris product lines
- Lead Root cause analysis and troubleshooting as needed
- Other duties as required. Some (domestic and international) travel required.
Education, Skills and Knowledge:
- B.S. or higher in Engineering required; Electrical, Software, Computer or related desired.
- Master’s in Engineering desired.
- 5+ years’ experience in design and/or implementation of embedded controls as they relate to power generating components and charging systems.
- Experience drafting requirements and specifications for features or products Experience with communication networks required; CAN, UDS, and J1939 preferred
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work across numerous cross-functional teams within an organization
- Experience with software and/or hardware V&V efforts
- Experience with DFMEA, SFMEA, and Functional Safety strongly desired
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.